Here is my step-by step guide to the home sale process:
1) Preparing the house for sale: clean-up and maintenance. De-clutter and de-personalize your home, allowing buyers to imagine the house as their own. More information on my attached “top upgrade” list.
2) Make a listing appointment with a Realtor to learn your home’s potential value in its market. If you are planning on buying another home after selling yours, talk to your Realtor about where you want to move.
3) Listing your house: a competitive price, attractive photographs, a lockbox, and a “for sale” sign are the major components to listing success.
4) Showings: If you are living in the property, be prepared for some inconvenience during the showing period. Try to accommodate all reasonable showing requests.
5) Offers: Your Realtor will help you review all offers, deciding whether to accept, reject, or counter-offer. Offers with a mortgage must be carefully vetted.
6) Under contract: Once you’ve accepted an offer, you are under contract. During this time, packing, home inspections, mortgage appraisals, final negotiations and any needed repairs will take place. The “under contract” period usually ranges from 30-60 days.
7) Settlement: Your house is sold! All parties meet at the buyer’s title company to complete the transfer of deed and title, shake hands, and walk away: you with your check, and the buyers with keys to a new home.